02 November 2008

Unexpected Company

Got off work around 9:30 and went back to the PH. Travis and Fernando were at the game, which LSU ended up winning 28-10. Bought a couple of cheap movies at work, and watched part of one, the remake of Mysterious Island, with Patrick Stewart, and ate part of an MRE, then went to sleep, around 11:00. Around 1:30 or so, Travis came and woke me up. Fernando was asleep, and he wasn't sleepy, so I went over there and we just sat up and talked for a while. Went back to sleep about 3:30. Since the clocks were set back last night, I figured I could get some extra sleep, but no suck luck.

About 6:30, I was waked up by this black guy who came in. He was carrying food he had bought at the Circle K on the corner. His name is Chris, and he has spent the night at the PH before. He asked if he could share the place for the night, and I said I didn't care (after all, it's not my place). He told me that we "had to set some ground rules", because he wasn't "into that homosexual shit", and then told me he was going to lie down. I just rolled up my sleeping bag and told him he could have the place for the morning, that I usually left early, anyway. Just as I left, he told me he had an idea that could make us both rich. I said, "great" and left.

Passed by Highland Coffees, but they weren't open yet, so I went over to CC's, which opens at 7:00. I was puzzled that they weren't open, and then I remembered that the clocks had been set back, and it wasn't 7:00 yet. So, I went by the store for a little while and read Rolling Stone, an article about David Foster Wallace, who committed suicide a while back. I haven't read any of his work, but I guess I will, now: I always try to read dead people. Then, I went back to CC's, where I ordered coffee and a bagel, since it looks like I won't be getting any more sleep this morning.

This guy Chris presents a problem which I had anticipated the possibility of before. I always figured that somebody else knew about the place, and kind of half-expected to run into another homeless person, sooner or later. This is the most comfortable place I have found, and I don't really want to be forced to find another place. This could be a problem. I don't really want to share my little patch of heaven with someone else. I stashed my sleeping bag there: I hope he doesn't decide to appropriate it. Oh, well: I guess I will find out tonight. I hope he finds somewhere else to go.

So, I guess I will hang out here and write and blog for a while, at least until Travis and Fernando get up, when I can go by there and take a shower, and we can maybe go get some lunch. Tomorrow, I will try to find something better. One of my co-workers gave me a number to call for United Way. She does volunteer work for them and said that they provide housing for people. Maybe I can find temporary housing through them. I am tired of the PH, anyway: I just don't like not having that option, in case I can't find anything else.

God: does my life suck, or what?

No comments: