15 February 2009

Darwin and Duality


Okay. Thursday was the 200th anniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln. It was also the 200th anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin. One of Darwin's closest associates wasn a naturalist and self-tought anatomist named Thomas Henry Huxley. Huxley had a son, Leornard, who was a schoolteacher, who had a son named Aldous Leornard. Thomas Henry Huxley was such a staunch defender of Darwin's work that he was known as "Darwin's Bulldog". He was never totally conviced about natural selection, though he did finally admit that it was the best explanation availible at the time.

Aldous Huxley wrote the dystopian novel, Brave New World, borrowing heavily on the theories of Thomas Robert Malthus, who had greatly influenced Darwin, in fact, whose theories of population pressure and economy formed the basis for the idea of natural selection. At university, Huxley met Eric Blair, who became known for his pen-name, George Orwell, who also wrote a dystopian novel, 1984.

Okay. So, I worked all day yesterday, without even a break, because Ken didn't schedule anyone to work with me. It was busy as fuck all. Then, I had to be at work today, for 11:00. So, I worked three hours and went by Travis and Fernando's and Fernando cut my hair and we ate dinner and chilled for awhile. I finally left because I was tired and nodding.

Amazingly, in this day and age, in this, the Twenty-First Century, just last year, Gov. Bobby Jindal, darling of the conservatives, who was courted by John McCain himself, for Vice President, pushed for and signed into law a bill which mandated the teaching of "alternative" theories, alongside of evolution, in short: pseudoscience. This predigested fundamentalist crapola is referred to as "intelligent design", but it flatters itself needlessly. All it is is the Biblical account of creation, as found in Genesis, with a lot of loony theories tacked on. That anyone in this day and age should question evolution is, well, for want of a better word, wack.

So, anyway, Orwell meets writer and theologian C.S. Lewis. Meanwhile, Huxley, an early experimenter with LSD, publishes a book called The Doors of Perception, leading a California-based psychedelic band to christen itself "The Doors". Orwell and Lewis die on the same day, but their deaths are largely ignored because of the date: 22 November, 1963. Huxley expires a few years later. His last request is that his wife inject 100mg of LSD-25 into his veins, whch she does. What a way to go!

So, what's the point? Two men born on the same date in 1809 , or the fact that I really, really need a good spanking and a little sex too, please. Which is why I was glad that a friend whom I hadn't seen in a couple of years walked into the store last night: he is just as hot as he ever was, and he was really glad to see me. Hey, I got a haircut, now, so I look a lot sexier. I thank God every day for the evolution of my wee-wee. Really. Opposable thumbs can be useful, too, especially when you haven't had sex in 10 months or so. I just listened to "Riders on the Storm". Guess I'll have a good, long. slow wank and turn in.

No comments: